The beginning of the twentieth century was a period of growing workers` movement; Shipyard and machine workers were also not satisfied with their working conditions. Daily working hours were long and wages were low, and despite many responsibilities, workers had few rights. The first notable strike took place in 1902, when the shipyards went on strike for a month. The action did not produce results favourable to the workers; Instead of entering into a collective agreement, each employee entered into a personal contract with the employer.  Collective agreements define the terms and conditions of employment of unionized workers and the rights, privileges and obligations of the union, the employer and the workers. In July 1906, metalworkers began a general strike that lasted until November, when a collective agreement was reached. Another strike followed in January 1909 and lasted until March, apart from the foundry workers who returned to work in April and the sheet steel workers who returned in May.  Despite Russia`s recent independence, the Russian army was still present in Helsinki, but did not participate in the civil war. The company had debts worth 3,000,000 marks from the Russian Navy. As it was impossible to receive payment from the local Military Council, Schwindt went to Petrograd. With the help of Admiral Maximov, he managed to obtain the full payment in rubles, but managed to rename only a third of them in Finnish mark, which were then smuggled into Helsinki to a safe place. Schwindt had to leave the rest of the money in Petrograd, where he entered into deposit agreements with the local subsidiaries of Branobel and ASEA. Schwindt then returned to Finland via Sortavala and joined the White Guard.
Orders from Imperial Russia were cancelled in 1910, when the Empire again suppressed its printing policy towards Finland. The company was able to secure enough contracts from Russian private companies to compensate for the drop in new public construction projects. In addition, the company has received many repair projects from the Imperial Russian Navy.  In 1900, hietalahti Shipyard and Engineering Works invested in pneumatic tools. A separate air compressor building was built next to the steam boiler building and the premises were equipped with an extensive compressed air supply network. The new tools have increased productivity, especially in the shipyard.  Transparency and cooperation are fundamental to our institution. The wooden door of the wharf was replaced by a steel door in 1899. In the same year, a new central warehouse of raw materials was built in the southern part of the area. This building was also made of brick and partially mined from basic rocks.
 During the war, two icebreakers, Silachya and the town of Reval, had been moored by the reluctant support of a court guard whom the Red Guards had found and captured.